Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Meet Anthony

Name: Anthony Bragg Jr.

Age: 30

Vocal range: Baritone/Tenor

Stage credits: Drummer for all of my life. Singing in the church.

What inspired you to be a performer and singer?
Singing is a different type of freedom, and there is nothing like it. It’s an amazing feeling to have people listening to you. I’ve always loved to sing and play drums. When you’re on stage on performing, it’s an exhilarating experience, and I love to see who I can touch. And for me, music touches so many people on so many levels and through song you can touch someone’s life. No matter what type it is whether it's Blues, R&B, Jazz, Gospel, Rock or Broadway.

Why did you want to be a part of The Soul of Broadway?
Originally, I was not in the show because someone else was suppose to perform but they dropped out. So I was approached by my brother (Mitchell Vantrease) and sister (Chanel Bragg), so I thought it would be cool do it. But at first I was kind of like 'I'm not sure I can sing  this Broadway type of music.' Then I realized that I could do it and ever since then I've had a blast with this show. The style was nerve wrecking a little bit but I always love a challenge.  I’ve done talent shows but it’s nothing compared to this at all. And at the end of the day, I wanted to do whatever I could to help my family out because it was something that my brother and sister created from the ground up. I'm glad that I could be there from the beginning for them. They really do have something special and I'm proud of them.

Why do you think The Soul of Broadway is important?
This show gives a look into Black musicals and how far we’ve come. And there are plenty of great musicals and plays out there that show our experience. But I’ve never seen anything like what The Soul of Broadway is trying to do. What makes The Soul of Broadway great is that you have some things that everybody knows like the music from Dreamgirls then you have some of the songs aren’t even known. It’s a great education and something that we can be proud of, then you put our energy and soul into and you have a wonderful show. This is important to our culture and wonderful to know that it’s Black shows, and it’s beautiful.

You're an original member of The Soul of Broadway. Tell me experience that you won’t forget from any of the performances.
I remember when I got a dose of what live theater is all about. LOL. We were doing Run and Tell That from Hairspray and Miguel (who sang lead vocals) was no one where to be found for his entrance. So we keep "ooh-ing" and he was nowhere to be found. I was like “where did he go." LOL. I just noticed that everyone kept "ooh-ing" until he came out.  And I loved when he would riff on that song because you never knew what he was going to do.
At the time you were a newcomer to theater when you joined The Soul of Broadway. How has it been working with everyone?
Everyone was easy to work with, and when it all came down it ,we were all there for another one. The camaraderie on stage and backstage is incredible. In rehearsals and even backstage, we are very supportive of one another. We were always back stage cheering on our brothers and sisters. That is what I love about this group, there are no egos.

Have you thought about doing a play or musical?
It’s crossed my mind as far as play. But what I really want to do is be on a tour from city to city and just sing. I plan to be performing. I will have a  CD and EP one day. Performing is what I really want to do and it will happen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment