Thursday, September 11, 2014

Meet Miguel

Name: Miguel Jackson
 
Vocal Range: Tenor
 
Age: 35
 
Stage Credits: Gator in Memphis, Phoenix Theatre; Coalhouse Walker Jr. in Ragtime, Theater Works; Jinx in Forever Plaid, Mesa Encore Theatre; Billy, It's Only Life, ASU West; C.C. White, Dreamgirls, Hamilton Theater
 
Bucket List: Jamie in The Last 5 Years
What inspired you to be a performer?
I grew up in the church, and every Saturday was a full day experience. Singing was big in our family as my mother taught piano and played for our church. My father played the trumpet and we would sing as a trio often. Music was a huge part of the Jackson household. After doing years of Christmas programs in church, I figured I'd do the same in school, joining the drama club and also a big part of the music program (tuba, bass guitar). I've been on stage, even before I really knew why I was out there and what I was doing! (Laughing) Music is something that touches me in a profound way, and I love to be able to sing and look out and see if I'm making an impact. I believe music is one of the most true forms of expression, and I love to share what I have!

Why did you want to be apart of The Soul of Broadway?
After working with Mitchell, Matravius and Chanel in Ragtime, when I was approached to be a part of the initial version of this show, I was pleasantly overwhelmed! I was so impressed with the idea to showcase specific songs from specific shows in this setting, and I really jumped into it with both feet. Plus, have you heard these people sing yet? What musician worth their salt wouldn't want to be a part of this cadre of incredible talent????

Why do you think The Soul of Broadway is important?
If we don't know where we come from, we are destined to end up there again. A slight paraphrasing of a saying that I think is so true. By showcasing some of these prolific songs and shows, we give each audience member a true sense of the range of the African American performer. You get a chance to see how shows and roles have helped to shape a common experience and common bond. Hopefully after this show, you are able to look at part of our experience and appreciate it a little better. 

Tell me the one experience you've had with the show that you won't forget.
I remember the first time we put this show up, and just how nervous we were! We had no idea how it would be received and whether people would appreciate this fresh perspective. We were truly blown away by the positive response and knew we had something legitimate!! I've laughed countless times with these folk, sweat and bled, and they're just some of the finest performers I've had the pleasure of working with!

What is your favorite song you've performed in one of the productions?
Home from The Wiz is one of my personal favorites. It's originally sung by a woman (Dorothy) in The Wiz and so to be able to perform it was a real treat for me. Plus, being an import myself (Canadian, eh!), there was a small bit of homesickness to it. But even as this show has morphed, so have I. My home now is Arizona and I consider myself fortunate. So, all those things mixed in with the lyrics to give that song a personality for me personally. A close second is the song Black and Blue. Its stripped down and simple harmonies are haunting and soul stirring and leave you drained, but in that good kind of way.

Where do you see yourself as actor in the next five years?
Nothing concrete. I'd never be an actor if I need that level of forethought. However, I definitely can't leave the stage. I may move more into just singing than stage work, but again, I prefer to leave myself open to what presents itself to me. I'll never stop singing and hopefully my professional plans can somehow line up with that. I must say, however, that I'm incredibly fortunate to already work in TV. I'm currently a director for AZ Midday, our local show on Channel 12 from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday. I can't thank Channel 12 enough for being so flexible and helpful in letting me get away to do these types of shows from time to time.

What is one of your favorite roles?
I'd have to say Coalhouse. I've been fortunate to play him twice now and both times were the most profound experiences I had to that date. Both casts were tremendous in totally different ways, and Ragtime is just a powerhouse of a show. But every role not only helps me as an actor, but helps to shape my personal experiences also. I also love to do new works, things that people don't know going in to a show already. Being able to surprise an audience with an emotional ballad or a funny patter song.....there is truly nothing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment