Sunday, September 7, 2014

Meet Tyra


Name: Tyra Young     
Vocal Range:  Mezzo Soprano 
Age: 26
Stage credits:
Lottie/Carmen – By the Way Meet Vera Stark
Zora Neal Hurston – Har Lem Ren
Dynamite Shayna - Hairspray
Bucket list role(s): Aida, Aida; Effie White, Dreamgirls

What inspired you to be a performer?
I come from a family of “sangin’ folk” my maternal grandmother traveled locally and sang with different gospel groups as a young woman. Later my mother, grandmother, great aunt, and later my aunt sang in a locally well-known gospel group.

As a child I can remember my mother(who was the lead choir director at our church) calling my sister, brother and I together and having us sing songs in three-part harmony, before she brought them to the choir to teach so she could see how it would sound.

My father relished in the stories of his grandmother being a professional dancer in New York City as a young woman. My mother herself danced throughout high school so my parents enrolled my sister and me in dance lessons when we were 5 and 3 years old.

I have always been very much the introvert. As long as I can remember I never had a problem with being alone or to myself. However I’ve been making melody with my instrument since before I was 1 years old. I started singing in my church Sunshine Band around 3 or 4 years old with that came the Easter and Christmas speeches we had to recite before the congregation every year and later the praise dances.

I’ve pin pointed that even though I have always been an introvert, having these constant platforms of expression reciprocated with encouragement and appreciation of my performance has made me confident in my quietness and everything else that I am as an individual.   Ultimately what I’ve come to realize, singing is healing for me and I’ve never felt more comfortable than when I’m animating the words of someone's truth right off the page.

Why did you want to be a part of The Soul of Broadway?
I wanted to be a part of Soul of Broadway because I knew that Chanel and Mitchell had a level of regard for theatre and standards that would not allow them to just throw anything together. I hadn’t seen this concept delivered with a high caliber. So when I was invited to audition of course I jumped at the chance! I am so grateful for this experience it has allowed me to learn so much about myself as a performer.

Why do you think like show like the Soul of Broadway is important?
This platform is so important because it gives more diversity in the Arizona theatre community. The Soul of Broadway is not a club, meaning it doesn’t exclude or discriminate against people because they aren’t well known or lack certain credentials. The only qualification is talent and willingness to grow as a performer. The Soul of Broadway's tendency to not be so apprehensive or threatened by new talent but to nurture growth is a winning formula.

Tell me one experience that you’ve had with the show that you won’t forget.
There hasn’t been one moment in particular that stands out for me at the moment. However I won’t forget the love and the chances that have been given to me. I won’t forget the feeling of family that I had during every rehearsal, blocking, and sound check with the talented, giving, hilarious people Soul of Broadway. I can't wait to do it again! 

What has been your favorite song or songs to perform? And why?
My favorite song to sing thus far has been “I Am Changing” from Dreamgirls because it was such a challenge, Effie is a dream role of mine, and the lyrics are a message of positive self-talk that spoke volumes to my life at that time.

Where do you see yourself as an actress in the next five years?
I very much protect the details of my ambitions, however I will say I see myself using my gifts to bring joy and healing to the people God places in my circle.

Outside of The Soul of Broadway, name one of your favorite roles you’ve played and why?
At the moment my favorite role is Lottie/Carmen the women that I’m playing now in “By the Way Meet Vera Stark” with iTheatre Collaborative. First of all it’s a straight play, which is always a breath of fresh air for me.  Also it’s always great when you can play a juxtaposition of women in one show. I love the challenge it has brought mostly because neither of the women at a glance are anything like me. iTheatre’s staff, the director, and the cast has made it a wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment