Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Meet Matravius

 


Name: Matravius Avent
Vocal Range: Baritenor(ish)
Age: 32
Stage credits:
Benny - Rent
Coalhouse - Ragtime
Sid - Pajama Game
 
Bucket list role(s):
At the moment: Haywood - The Scottsboro Boys, Benny - In The Heights and any male character in Les Miserables (except Jean Valjean, a little too high for me).
 
You are an original member of The Soul of Broadway. How do you think it's grown and changed over the years?
I think I’m the only member to perform in every Soul of Broadway show thus far. It’s been fun to work with so many other singers over the years. And it’s a nice reminder of the talent pool we have here in the valley. Everyone brings something unique. And no matter the combination of players, the result is always a great show.

What inspired you to be a performer?
I’ve always been a music nerd. I grew up studying/performing at Denver School of the Arts through junior high and high school. But I was absolutely hooked when the National tour of Ragtime came through. One of my teachers got me a ticket to this new show that I’d never heard of. It was the first time I saw a black male lead in a show that large scale. I’ve been pretty much obsessed with the stage ever since.

Why did you want to be a part of The Soul of Broadway?
It was a way to collaborate with friends I’ve made since moving to Phoenix. We could do so without waiting for a show that we could all get cast in. For an actor, the book and music can only do so much for you. I think the experience you have is a huge factor in making the show great. You’re bound to have a great experience when you’re doing a show with your friends.
 
Why do you think a show like the Soul of Broadway is important?
For me, this show is about discovery. What can we do that allows us to showcase the versatility of our performers? What great shows are out there that aren’t produced often or at all here in town? This show allows us to showcase the flexibility of our performers and hopefully introduces the audience to songs/shows they wouldn’t usually see on valley stages. I’ve discovered a ton of things that I’ve never heard since beginning this show.
 
Tell me one experience that you’ve had with the show that you won’t forget.
There’s a lot that I won’t forgot. But I love our rehearsals. They feel like jam sessions. Lots of laughter and “stank” faces because someone tried something new with their song that really resonated with everyone else. The encouraging atmosphere makes it so easy to relax and just enjoy performing.
 
What has been your favorite song or songs to perform? And why?
I’m a sucker for harmonies. So "Black and Blue" from Ain’t Misbehavin’ is definitely toward the top of the list. It’s a pretty difficult song but when those chords lock, the feeling is incredible. My favorite featured song has to be “Go Back Home” from The Scottsboro Boys by Kander/Ebb. A beautifully written song that I never get tired of singing.


 
Where do you see yourself as an actor in the next five years?
Hopefully, the same place you see me now. Having fun performing on stage. Where? Who knows. Ask me again in five years. ;)

Outside of The Soul of Broadway, name one of your favorite roles you’ve played and why?
I don’t know if I have a favorite role. I love them all! But I’ll call out Smudge in Forever Plaid because the rest of the cast was other Soul of Broadway members Miguel, Mitchell and Derek.


No comments:

Post a Comment